Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mardi Gras Cups

Mardi Gras cups are thrown from floats each has a design relating to the year's theme and the name of the krewe. 


So there I am in the car trying to explain that parades are not something you just stand and watch, (yet again) to the oldest niece.  She just can't wrap her head around the concept of having to catch things instead of waving.  So I tried another angle by giving her a list of things that I want.  "Okay, I need cups because your Uncle J always takes them to work so if you get cups fork them over, okay?"  She looked at me as if I had grown a clown nose and asked, "Wait, they throw cups?"  "Well duh, how do you think I got that one?"  I pointed to the Krewe D'etat cup she was drinking from.  "From...     the...    store...?"  she replied thinking it was obvious and that I was weird.

I killed myself laughing, (I guess you'd have to have been there).  The kid has been surrounded by Mardi Gras throws all her life, (my sister kept beads and cups on hand), and thought we went to the store to buy all that mess.  It's going to be fun explaining the St. Patrick's day parade.

We're going to start these noobie kids off slow with parades in the suburbs and then next weekend it will be BAM!  They are going to have to hang with the big boys because we're not missing out on those super krews.

This year we are going to reuse and improve upon some costumes from the past,  so there will be no costume frenzy this year; I'm gonna miss it.   Nothing has hit us, no news story to satire, so we shall return to an oldie, but goodie.

PS.  I'm beginning to to think that this UTI may be something more.  Dammit; I may end up having to go to the doctor.  Dammit.

2 comments:

  1. Jude,
    Thank you for following my skin cancer blog. I hope you will follow my other blog. We seem to have some things in common. I too am from Louisiana. We celebrate Mardi GRAS in Shreveport when possible. I also try to stay as healthy as I can by watching what I eat and staying balanced each day. I log my food data on Nutrimirror which you will read about on my blog and I walk four miles five days a week.
    Looks like your new to the blogging world but you have a great blog and many will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shreveport I hear it gets COLD up there so I'll bet it was miserable last weekend on the parade route, lol! I bet you were laughing at me as I was whining about how cold it was here. Thanks for the Nutrimirror tip; when things settle down here in about a week, I'm going to tighten up a bit more and give that Nutrimirror a go. There is just so much going on with parades, and food, and parades, and of course last minute costumes, and parades...

    ReplyDelete